It is the lighthouse situated at the northernmost point of the island, cape Spathi. It was built under the British rule and is the largest lighthouse built by the British in Greece. It was constructed in 1857 and has a height of 25 meters.

Read more
 

One of the most impressive parts of the island is the skerry of Chytra or else Avgo (egg), located at a short distance across the harbor of Kapsali. On its south side there is a cave with enchanting colors both in the exterior and on the seabed. At the end of the cave there is a haven for seals. Going up on the isle requires attention, as the ground is steep and rocky.

Read more
 

The gorge of Tsakonas is located between the villages Mitata and Viaradika, in the center of the island. Inside the canyon are hidden churches carved in the rocks and two springs, one for each village. After several miles and branches the gorge leads to the area of Palaiopolis.

Read more
 

Going down the dell of Milopotamos and the “Fonissa” waterfall, situated on the rocks, among the plane trees and the ivy are the 22 watermills. The mills operated by water power from the river that still flows abundant. The water would run in a single trench that passed by all mills. Each watermill consisted of three main areas.

Read more
 

The gorge of Kakia Langada starts at the village of Trifillianika and passes by the ruined Byzantine town of Paleochora. Paleochora, with its 13th century buildings, was the island’s Byzantine capital and is located in the northernmost part of a steep cliff set in the middle of the canyon.

Read more
 

Just outside the harbor of Avlemonas, at 20 meters depth, a group from the Institute of Marine Archaeology found in 1980 an ancient shipwreck! It was Mentor, the ship Lord Elgin used in 1802 to transfer the stolen Parthenon sculptures and fragments of other monuments.

Read more
 

In the picturesque village of Milopotamos follow the sign to Neraida, Waterfall; it will lead you to an idyllic site with tropical greenery, beautiful bridges, alleys and streams. This magical place is located within a glen -designated as of outstanding natural beauty- with rich poplar and plane trees vegetation.

Read more