AGIA MONI MONASTERY
The monastery of Agia Moni is built on one of the highest mountains of Kythera and overlooks not only the coast of the Peloponnese but also the whole island. During the period of “Dekapentismos” the monastery cells are open to reside and there are many visitors coming to Kythera at the time. The Monastery celebrates on the 6th of August, the day of the Savior. The current church was built in 1840, and is dedicated to the Madonna (Virgin Mary). Kolokotronis made a promise to the Madonna that if the Greek revolution succeeded he would return and help rebuild it. The icon of the Madonna was found by a shepherd in 1766 and has the image of the Madonna on one side and that of Agios Georgios (St. George) on the other.